Downtown's Annual Earth Day Clean Attracts 400+ Volunteers to Give Downtown Syracuse a Spring Cleaning
Saturday, April 22, 2017
Syracuse, NY - A record 400 volunteers turned out to give Downtown Syracuse a spring cleaning on Saturday, April 22. Keeping with Earth Day tradition, the Downtown Committee of Syracuse, Inc. hosted a community clean-up to make sure the gateways to the center of the city are attractive, accessible and ready to welcome visitors now that the weather has broken for the spring season.
Starting at 8:30 am, throughout the morning (please find a complete schedule listed below), Downtown Committee staff met volunteers at five different locations throughout Downtown Syracuse. The Downtown Committee provided gloves, trash bags and t-shirts to all volunteers, as well as vouchers to enjoy lunch in Downtown Syracuse. Upon meeting at their designated locations, volunteers also received breakfast treats, as an extra incentive for getting up early and rolling up their sleeves!
This year, several Downtown organizations assembled volunteers to join the effort, such as AXA, Arcadis, BlueRock Energy, SEFCU, Sutherland Global and VIP Structures.
“Our Earth Day Clean-Up is traditionally one of our biggest volunteer events, but we are blown away by the enthusiasm surrounding the event this year,” said Merike Treier, executive director of the Downtown Committee of Syracuse. “We appreciate the dedication of our faithful volunteers, their families and children, and we’re especially excited to see an increase in the amount of Downtown employees getting involved this year. The pride they feel for their community is incredible, and it’s exciting to see how that positive energy transforms the streetscape.”
Volunteers who wished to stay for lunch enjoyed lunch provided by the Downtown Committee through partnerships with J. Ryan’s Pub, located at 253 East Water Street (map), and Peppino’s Neapolitan, located at 409 South Clinton Street (map).
- 8:30 am: Clinton & Adams Streets – Volunteers met at the parking lot behind 572 South Salina Street
- 9:00 am: Onondaga Creekwalk – Volunteers met at the Walton Street extension near West Street, across from the Syracuse University Warehouse for reference
- 9:30 am: Armory Square – Volunteers met at the lawn at The MOST
- 10:30 am: Downtown East – Volunteers met at 217 Montgomery Street
- 11:00 am: Clinton Square – Volunteers met under The Atrium overhang, located on Water Street between South Salina and South Clinton Streets